Formula Torque
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MotoGP - Rossi ends winless streak with Chinese win

Go down

MotoGP - Rossi ends winless streak with Chinese win Empty MotoGP - Rossi ends winless streak with Chinese win

Post by Ross Sun May 04, 2008 1:54 pm

MotoGP - Rossi ends winless streak with Chinese win L3158813
Rossi set the lap record on his way to victory

Valentino Rossi produced a faultless performance to clinch victory in the China MotoGP ahead of Dani Pedrosa.

The pair were dominant over the field and fought a fascinating battle throughout, but Rossi outpaced the Spaniard over the last few laps.

The win was the Italian Yamaha rider's first in eight races and announces his, and his team's, return to form.

World champion Casey Stoner was third, while Jorge Lorenzo, hampered by injury, came a stunning fourth.

Rossi's team-mate Lorenzo dug deep and rode bravely following his huge crash in practice on Friday which left him with a chipped left ankle bone.

Pedrosa's second place gave him the outright lead in the championship on his 21st birthday - seven points ahead of compatriot Lorenzo.

Pole-sitter Colin Edwards finished seventh after initially fighting for the lead with Rossi and Pedrosa but running wide and then losing pace as the race wore on.

His Tech 3 Yamaha team-mate, and Britain's sole MotoGP representative, James Toseland could only manage 12th.

Marco Melandri had his best result since joining Ducati, finishing in fifth place ahead of 2006 world champion Nicky Hayden.

The only person to retire from the race was Chris Vermeulen, who had clutch problems with his Rizla Suzuki.

Rossi's victory was his 62nd in the premier racing class and he celebrated by immediately pulling off the track, kissing his bike and then sitting on the barrier near the pits.

MotoGP - Rossi ends winless streak with Chinese win L3158783
Stoner finished third, but was disappointed with the result

"I'm very, very happy. It's been a long time without victory," said Rossi, who last won in Portugal last season.

"I felt confident with my bike from the first lap. The start was not so bad and after I went in front I kept my rhythm. It was a great battle with Dani."

Rossi has struggled this season following his switch to tyre makers Bridgestone, but he seemed to have no issues in Shanghai.

"My rhythm was fantastic to the end, and I was able to ride the bike like I wanted, so it was a great victory," he added.

Pedrosa admitted that Rossi had a little too much pace for him, and the Spaniard revealed he decided to settle for second.

"It was a hard race," he said. "At the end I just slowed down cause I saw that I could not get him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

China MotoGP results:

1. Valentino Rossi (Italy) Yamaha 44 mins 08.061 secs
2. Dani Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 44:11.951
3. Casey Stoner (Australia) Ducati 44:23.989
4. Jorge Lorenzo (Spain) Yamaha 44:30.555
5. Marco Melandri (Italy) Ducati 44:35.018
6. Nicky Hayden (U.S.) Honda 44:36.430
7. Colin Edwards (U.S.) Yamaha 44:37.841
8. Toni Elias (Spain) Ducati 44:38.286
9. Loris Capirossi (Italy) Suzuki 44:39.501
10. Shinya Nakano (Japan) Honda 44:44.030

MotoGP championship standings: